Aug 10
2003

Faceted Movable Type

So as hundreds of my fans have been clamoring to know how I’ve constructed a faceted classification scheme and nav with Movabletype(MT), I’ll explain it here. Well they haven’t been so much clamoring as just sort of wondering aloud, and “fans” might be overstating it a bit — probably more like random visitors and, ok, it wasn’t hundreds it was just one person. Anyhoo…

Categories and MT

I made the decision to go with a faceted classification scheme for two reasons. The first reason is due to the limitations of category construction in MT. Each post can have any number of categories applied and one is selected to be the "primary" category. There's no way to make hierarchical relationships among them, though. There may be plug-ins now that make this possible, however, I'm unaware of them. I've also found it impossible to switch from the berkeley db to mysql which might allow further modifications in that direction.

Getting Organized

The second reason I decided to go with a faceted classification scheme is that constructing a hierarchical scheme at the outset of what is really just a spot to keep my bookmarks and bibliographies seemed difficult. Difficult because I really wasn't sure what the scope of this site would be. However, I reviewed the content of the favorites I had squirreled away in IE5 and took a look at my attempts to use the folder system of the Mac OS to give order to many a paper in PDF format. (Pulling down my lengthy favorites list in my browser usually results in peals of laughter from anyone hanging over my shoulder. It's grown over the years and although I love classifying things -- the shoemaker's children...) So, it seemed the wise decision for a growing site since faceted classification can accomodate new knowledge in more flexible ways.

Faceted Classification

PMEST is the classifier's friend. It's an acronym used in faceted classification for the five fundamental facets. It stands for "personality, matter, energy, space, and time." Loosely, you can look at my attempt at describing the ascertainable qualities of what I believed would be in the scope of what I wanted to save and comment on as having the following equivalencies:

  • Personality=topic
  • Matter=form
  • Energy=process
  • (Space=I don't believe I've used this facet, or perhaps it's the permalink of the post itself? Yes, let's go with that for now.)
  • Time=date

If you want to learn how to construct a faceted scheme properly try:

You'll notice that I've gone on quite a bit without mentioning MT. That should tip you off that, despite MT's discouraging me from creating an hierarchical scheme, creating a classification scheme should have little to do with the tool you've chosen and is primarily an intellectual exercise, not something that can be automated. Stuffing that scheme into any particular tool might be technologically challenging, but you should resist letting it have too much of an impact on your scheme if possible. (i.e. do as I say, not as I do)

MT and Regex

For each MT category that I created, I included the facet with its name such as Form: Web Site, Process: Designing, etc. I used Brad Chaote's regex plug-in to then display them. <mtifmatches> pulls out every category that, for example, starts with "form" for me and then displays those together. To avoid having "form" repeated over and over a regex pattern then strips the displayed linked text of its facet's name. The date navigation uses the built-in capability of MT. I've created a single file for each facet's display and then I use SSI on any given page where I wish to make it available.

Here's an example of what the code looks like to display the "process" facet:

<MTAddRegex name="patt3">s/Process: //gi</MTAddRegex> <MTCategories> <MTIfMatches var="CategoryLabel" pattern="m/(Process:)/i"> <a href="<$MTCategoryArchiveLink$>" title="<$MTCategoryCount$> entries"><$MTCategoryLabel regex="patt3"$></a> | </MTIfMatches> </MTCategories>

This is additional evidence to back up my observation that most problems in life can be solved with the creative use of regular expressions.

Comments & TrackBacks

High Context
8:54 AM on Aug 12, 2003

Faceted Classification with MovableType — Tanya has posted a rather ingenious solution for creating a faceted classification system for posts in MovableType. This gets around... More »

mywhine: madonnalisa whines here...sometimes
12:54 PM on Aug 12, 2003

Faceted MT — Discovered this through IA Slash, but Tanya just did a write up on how she created faceted categories for her... More »

judith meskill's knowledge notes...
2:16 PM on Aug 12, 2003

weblogs - fascinating facets... — on tanya rabourn's faceted movable type: finely faceted topic, form, process, space, date regex patterned gems hi-tech haiku ©2003 judith meskill... More »

anil dash's daily links
12:23 PM on Aug 20, 2003

faceted posts in movable type — http://www.pixelcharmer.com/fieldnotes/archives/process_designing/2003/000348.html... More »

A Blog Apart - Blog
5:19 PM on Aug 20, 2003

Faceted Movable Type Navigation — *Pixelcharmer: Field Notes: Faceted Movable Type. I've always wanted to know how to do this... duh... (link via Anil Dash) More »

Brainstorms and Raves
3:42 AM on Aug 21, 2003

Organizing Your Website — With all the talk about URLs lately there?s also talk about categories and organizing your website. Some have provided helpful tips for Movable Type tweaks, too. Organize by categories, subcategories, transmogrify your weblog. More »

tima thinking outloud.
8:52 PM on Aug 22, 2003

Faceted Categorization in MT. — Tanya Rabourn (aka pixelcharmer) has posted an interesting and creative way in which she organizes her weblog using faceted categorization to achieve a simple hierarchical relationships between posts. Regular expressions inside of Movable Type template... More »

Raw Blog
6:40 AM on Aug 23, 2003

Facetted blog using MT — Reginald X. *Pixelcharmer: Field Notes: Faceted Movable Type... More »

judith meskill's knowledge notes...
4:54 PM on Aug 23, 2003

weblogs - fascinating facets... — on tanya rabourn's faceted movable type: finely faceted topic, form, process, space, date regex patterned gems haitech haikutm ©2003 judith meskill... More »

MT Plugin Directory
3:01 AM on Aug 25, 2003

CategoryFaceted — Details on how this plugin was made are availalbe in this post. Inspired by an implementation of the scheme using... More »

Random Rants from Bru
8:18 AM on Aug 25, 2003

Faceted Classification — I'm reading today on Pixelcharmer's field notes her considerations about two MovableType plugins implementing her brilliant idea of a facet classification system for MT. It's definitely worth a reading. I'm considering if to adopt one of these solution... More »

HP Semantic Blogging
2:13 PM on Aug 26, 2003

Blogs & Faceted Classification — So it's happened. Pixelcharmer has created a faceted classification for her blog. This is very cool, and something I've been mulling over doing wit... More »

Ordinary-Life.net
10:49 PM on Aug 29, 2003

Movable Type Subcategories — David Raynes is the MAN! Why you ask? Because he just hacked together a plugin to support subcategories. He’s got several other spiffy plugins available. On a related note, some information on catagory planning with facets. Hat tip: Asterisk*... More »

Áóäíè òðóäîãîëèêà
6:33 AM on Sep 21, 2003

Faceted Movable Type — *Pixelcharmer: Field Notes: Faceted Movable Type — âîò òàê îáÿçàòåëüíî áóäó äåëàòü ñåáå.... More »

Namahn Weblog (beta)
4:03 PM on Sep 23, 2003

Faceted classification and MT — It doesn't seem easy -- there's some Regular Expressions involved -- but this blogentry from Pixelcharmer explains step by step how to construct a faceted classification scheme and navigation with Movabletype(MT). The result looks great: you can browse... More »

Headshift
12:13 PM on Sep 26, 2003

Technical details of this web site — A technical overview of the inner workings of this website. More »

Rage on omnipotent
5:34 AM on Sep 29, 2003

Facets in Movable Type — Faceted Movable Type looks at creating a faceted classification in Movable Type. Thanks to headshiftfor the link.... More »

On the Job
1:23 AM on Sep 30, 2003

Movable Type Resources — Movable Type (MT) is a powerful web content publishing system, though difficult at first for beginners. Here are the links I have found most useful while implementing Movable Type weblogs. Support: Movable Type Support Forums - the best place to... More »

Headshift
12:16 PM on Oct 3, 2003

Technical Digest: Using Regular Expressions to order Movable Type Categories — How to use Regular Expressions to change the ordering of (multiple faceted) Movable Type categories. More »

About Kim
2:15 PM on Oct 6, 2003

Mum is the Word — Higher ups at Endeca have gotten annoyed at me for writing about anything related to what I do at work. I was asked to remove all mention of Endeca from the Inverted Index Shootout pages, and to remove the Why... More »

Synesthesia LinkBlog
9:13 AM on Oct 7, 2003

Faceted Movable Type — *Pixelcharmer explains how to build a faceted classification scheme in MT More »

About Kim
5:46 PM on Oct 8, 2003

Mum is the Word — Higher ups at Endeca have gotten annoyed at me for writing about anything related to what I do at work. I was asked to remove all mention of Endeca from the Inverted Index Shootout pages, and to remove the Why... More »

Successentials
12:14 AM on Oct 30, 2003

How was this site built? — This site is built on the :mt: platform using knowledge and some hard work. :mt: has been extended through the use of the following plugins. Brad Choate's MTMacro and Regex plugins Brandon Fuller's W3CValidator plugin Jacob Hesch's BookQueue plugin Kal... More »

-tfs blogging experiments
4:26 PM on Jan 7, 2004

Kategorisierung und Klassifizierung — "FacetedClassification" ist eine formale Methode, Inhalte mit einer mehrdimensionalen Klassifizierung zu versehen und miteinander zu assoziieren. Oder so.... The facet classification is an analytico-synthetic scheme. It is analytic because it subdivide... More »

Reprocessed
4:41 PM on Jan 13, 2004

Categorisation (and its discontents) — I have a few problems with the way that categorisation works in blogs. The current approach is typified by a filing cabinet approach: things exist in a category, and can... More »

Learning Movable Type
1:08 AM on Jan 25, 2004

Movable Type Resources — Movable Type (MT) is a powerful web content publishing system, though often difficult for beginners to implement. Here are the links I have found most useful while implementing Movable Type weblogs. This list will grow as I continue to add... More »

owen's meta
7:27 AM on Feb 5, 2004

Faced MT Categoty design — pixelcharmer shows me a great design which is using MT. Man! Especially in categories classification. he made this catrgories called faceted metadata category. I love this design so much. Why we shuould go with faceted classification scheme, Via Tanya ... More »

Mercurial
10:55 AM on Feb 11, 2004

Faceted — I am the master of Faceted Categories! It was a hard trip, full of peril and understated difficulties, but finally,... More »

Ex Cathedra
7:28 AM on Feb 12, 2004

Faceted MT — Ontologies. Everybody who's got a blog tries to come up with a way to categorize the stuff they write so they can find it again and so that people who are interested in one kind of article needn't wade through... More »

RichLyon
8:01 AM on Feb 15, 2004

Faceted Classifications — Ways of organising web content. More »

angiemckaig.com
8:50 AM on Mar 9, 2004

assorted sweets: 2004-02-18 — Windley's Enterprise Computing WeblogSuper new-to-me weblog with the greatest tagline ever: "Organizations Usually Get The IT They Deserve" Faceted Movable TypeWell done - faceted classification and navigation in MT Amazon Tax GaffeThere are so many l... More »

Infomusings Blog
7:58 PM on Mar 12, 2004

Classification by Bloggers — The popularity of blogging is an interesting information phenomenon in itself. Several popular books have been published about it.* I'm not sure who is working on it from a research standpoint, but that will just take some digging. There are so many an... More »

Martin's Linkdumps
5:54 PM on Mar 23, 2004

Faceted Movable Type — http://www.pixelcharmer.com/fieldnotes/archives/process_designing/2003/000348.html... More »

caffeinelinks
6:05 PM on May 10, 2004

Monday positives — 1. I was able to help a couple of people on the MT support forums today (hopefully), which felt... More »

caffeinelinks
6:09 PM on May 10, 2004

Monday positives — 1. I was able to help a couple of people on the MT support forums today (hopefully), which felt... More »

edit me
8:51 AM on May 24, 2004

PMEST (formula) — personality, matter, energy, space, and time PMEST is the classifier’s friend. It’s an acronym used in faceted classification for the five fundamental facets. — Faceted Classification... More »

Caveat Lector
11:35 AM on May 24, 2004

Easy facets in MT? — Help, MT gurus! I want to build a faceted classification system so easy a child could use it, but I'm not finding it an easy task. I know about Pixelcharmer's solution as well as tima's plugin. They are not what I want. Unless I'm reading completely wr... More »

Learning Movable Type
7:37 PM on May 24, 2004

Displaying Categories — The default templates in Movable Type list archives by month, not by category. See the following steps for configuring your weblog for category archiving, creating and assigning categories, adding a category list in your sidebar, and adding a "Posted t... More »

strange vagaries
2:43 AM on May 26, 2004

Faceted Classification — When I get the chance to update the categoried browsing of this site, I will read the following more delicately... More »

Learning Movable Type
7:37 PM on Jun 10, 2004

Category Customizations — One area where plugins have greatly enhanced MT functionality is in categories. Here's a list of some of the things you can do: How to exclude entries of certain categories from lists of entries. Say you want to list out your 20 most recent entries in ... More »

(sic!)
2:09 AM on Jul 20, 2004

ЧПУ в Movable Type — Организация ЧПУ в Movable Type для неанглоязычных блогов и сайтов. More »

mywhine: madonnalisa whines here...sometimes
1:56 PM on Sep 8, 2004

Faceted MT — Discovered this through IA Slash, but Tanya just did a write up on how she created faceted categories for her... More »

<Tag> memes
8:38 PM on Sep 19, 2004

Ranganathan for Weblogging Librarians — And for others who love to classify things. I found this while browsing Moveable Type plugins. There's one by Timothy Appnel for creating a faceted category system. The developer references another MT developer, Tanya Rabourne at pixelcharmer: Faceted ... More »

Quiet thoughts at the Midnight Café
10:09 AM on Dec 17, 2004

pumpkin soup facets — I made pumpkin soup tonight, so when she comes over to my place after her lessons, it'll all be ready for her enjoyment. I'm supposed to sweat some onions then add the pumpkin and stock. But I didn't to trek... More »

Comments and trackbacks are closed.

A Few Related Entries

Facets: The Future is Faceted
Not So Random Connections