Oct 22
2002

Text Size

So where are we on text size and CSS these days? Hmm, time to review I think. Roughly in reverse chronological order:

A recent, related resource is Eric Meyer’s “Tricking Browsers and Hiding Styles.”

In the last few days I’ve experienced the design challenge of CSS text size as both user and designer. The only conclusion that I can draw so far is that it’s Tuesday.

I’m tired of that rising panicky feeling that always accompanies a major release of a new browser version. Exploiting browser bugs to serve up different text sizes makes me nervous.

For body type, I would like to not specify any size. Let the user make the choice. However, popular browsers don’t make the resizing options obvious and it’s been a long time since designers left text at the default size, so most users haven’t a clue that they have the power when you give it to them. They just see that in their browsers’ default settings the text looks huge and unsophisticated as if it were a children’s book.

As we learn more about implementing relative units in our CSS, the trend seems to be to assume that the users’ settings are always at “children’s book.” So to display our more sophisticated text we say “take the users’ prefered size and make it smaller.” The reasons are compelling but the logic escapes me.

It’s so tiresome that specifying text size is still so difficult. It ceased to be an interesting problem ages ago.

Comments & TrackBacks

Joshua Kaufman
12:39 PM on Oct 25, 2002

This Is Children's Book Text — Tanya reviews the text sizing articles and compares the browser default settings to children's book text: For body type, I More »

studioid.com :: Musings
3:41 AM on Oct 30, 2002

Relative font sizing strategies using CSS — I asked this question on CSS-Discuss, wondering if % or keywords were best to set a base font. Tanya is More »

Comments and trackbacks are closed.

A Few Related Entries

Text-Only != accessible
CSS challenged browsers